Omenana, a tri-monthly speculative fiction e-magazine, is open to submissions from writers from Africa and the African Diaspora. Stories and art must be speculative fiction (Fantasy, Science Fiction, Horror or Magical Realism) and must involve characters, settings or themes directly related to the African continent. Stories and art should challenge normative ideas about gender, sexuality, ethnicity and religious belief. All stories and art must be in English (translations welcome), must be original works (no fan fiction, sorry) and previously unpublished.
We are very much interested in works that explore alternative futures for Africa and people of African descent – with a preference for positive iterations (though dystopias are welcome too). We would also like to see explorations of the past as well as new interpretations of myths, folklore and magic. We do not accept graphic violent or sexual content.
Above all, we are looking for original ideas, excellent writing and a strong emotional core.
We are also open to essays and reviews that deal with our interest in African speculative fiction. We DO NOT accept poetry, drama or film scripts.
All work must be submitted by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org as a single attachment in one of the following file formats: .doc, .docx, .rtf, .odt.
Include a cover letter in the body of your e-mail providing your contact details (name – not the pseudonym you write under – address, email and phone number), a brief publication history, a bio of no more than 100 words and a profile photo.
Our current submission window will open December 15, 2016 and will close January 15, 2017. Work submitted before or after this period will not be considered.
- All text submissions must be 12-pt font, doubled-spaced.
- Short fiction should be no more than 5,000 words.
- You can send in two flash fiction pieces but they should not exceed 1,000 words each.
- We encourage submissions of creative non-fiction and essays of no more than 3,000 words.
- Reviews should be between 800 and 1,500 words.
- Graphic fiction and visual art should be sent in as a .jpg file.
- Please don’t send revised drafts of works that you have previously submitted or that are already published (both online and offline), unless we specifically ask for them.
- Accepted work will be paid at a rate of N3000 per published work.